How often as parents do we sulk in the really really bad days? The days where nothing went right. The kids were royally unpleasant. Work was painful. You didn’t have time to make a healthy meal for anyone. Forget making a meal – you didn’t have time to eat! For me – when these days happen, I break down. I am extra hard on myself, trying to reflect back on what I should have or could have done better, that I could have been a little more patient, or shouldn’t have wasted time doing one thing but instead done another. It always comes back to me – what did I do wrong.
I moved to Texas from India when I was 8 years old. I was a complete tomboy and spent all my time outdoors. I played outside, I read outside, I swam, I hiked, I climbed trees – you name it. If the activity involved me being outside and in the sun, I was there.
Then allergies struck.
I had no idea what allergies even were. I was 11 at the time, and had never experienced this problem my entire time I lived in India. Yet just 2-3 years after I set foot in the South, my body decided to repel the main thing I loved the most – being outdoors. I was forced to get allergy skin tests done (ouch!), and had to be put on allergy shots. For 9 years I was getting a shot every 2 weeks. Talk about a pain in the ass!! I finally gave up my sophomore year in college when a) I was seeing no results and b) going to the campus clinic every 2 weeks to get a shot was getting really really annoying.
Why, you ask, am I writing a post titled “Stroller Envy”? I’ll just jump right into it.
That is because I’m 5 months pregnant!!! 🙂 It’s still hard to believe at times.. until I look down and see my wonderful baby bump of course! And then I’m quickly reminded that I’ve got a little munchkin growing inside of me. That and the little kicks I’m starting to feel!
The past 5 months have been a rollercoaster to say the least. From the high of finding out, to keeping it a secret, to getting some tests done, to starting to show and having to hide it, to telling our friends and family, to not fitting into my clothes, to buying new clothes! And now the most fun and probably difficult part of all… getting the nursey, house, and surroundings ready for the baby’s arrival! The hubs and I spent 3-4 hours at Babies R Us within a week of us announcing the news registerting for everything that we think we need. Key word – think. God knows what we’re missing or going overboard on!
During my walk yesterday, I found myself acting a little on the creepy side when I glanced a little too long at the strollers and baby carriers walking past me. What brand is it? Does the baby look comfortable? Do I want a 3 or 4 wheeler? Does it look too heavy? Wonder how it folds up. Wonder how much it costs.
Ah yes. Cost. I am in utter shock that there are $1500 strollers on the market. How long does a newborn to toddler need the stroller? How many stollers will the child go through? Do I need just one for the first year, and then get a new one when the baby starts to sit up? Then I get a super light one for when the kid can walk, but needs to rest at amusement parks, malls, etc.?? Do I get a travel system so I’m covered for both – but now I’m buying a monster of a stroller, and although I love that it matches… do I need something like this??
- The $1,659 ride for tots (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Bugaboo Donkey and 4 other high-end strollers (csmonitor.com)
- Baby Stroller Mall Type – The Label, Qualities, Measurement And Cost (jaysdad.com)
- Meet the mother of all baby strollers (parentcentral.ca)
My my my…. Where has the time gone!?! What I had hoped to be a short break turned into almost 5 months of a whirlwind. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again.
It’s quite impossible to try to go into detail of what I’ve been up to for these many months… So here’s a short summary:
– Rally to Restore Sanity: totally awesome experience
– My dad’s one year anniversary: scary how quickly time flew by… But loved spending the weekend with my family back home
– The holidays: nothing crazy or out of the ordinary. Good times, good food, good company
– Year-o-weddings: the year finally ended, by attending the 12th wedding. Definitely fun bringing in the new year at one of my best friends wedding reception
– Work: work has been insane to say the least. I shall leave it at that.
– Babies: 2011 will be the year-o-babies. Lots of people getting prego this year, which I’m totally happy to see. I love me some babies 🙂
Since I didn’t get time to do my new years resolution so far this year, here goes:
– eat better. I’ve turned (and taken the hubby with me) to organic fruits and veggies. Sure sure I know what you’re thinking… “uhhh where have you been? Way to jump on the organic bandwagon a few years late!” hey better late than never right? I’m so impressed with the freshness factor and how much better my meals taste with the organic ingredients in them. Needless to say, I’m sold.
– exercise more. Yeah ok. Same drill each year.
– be better at keeping in touch with people. After seeing some of my friends at weddings last year after a long long time I realized how bad I’ve been at keeping in touch with them. Yes it works both ways but you gotta start somewhere.
– write more. Ha. This starts now, not 3 months ago.
Nice to be back folks… Looking forward to catching up with my fellow bloggers.
Crap… Wrote this on the iPad and it wrote over my last post. Good thing all it was was out of sight out of mind.
Is it just me, or did lip gloss once used to be like $4 or $5 bucks?? I went to CVS last night and I shit you not, every single “normal” brand of makeup had lip gloss no less than $10.99. And by “normal” I mean the Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, etc brands..
When did freaking lip gloss become so damn expensive!? LipSTICK prices have remained the same. They’re still like $4 to $6 bucks, but God forbid you prefer a gloss to a stick, you just need to pay double the price. Not to mention the 10 different types of gloss like lip applications these days. Stainer, gloss, plumpers, etc etc etc. Just give me options of things that looks good and doesn’t feel nasty when on. Is that too hard?
This is the most irrelevant post I’ve ever written. But it annoyed me enough to write it, so there.
What other common items have you guys come across these days that the prices have just gone through the roof?